Wednesday, January 03, 2018

The first week of January - It Snowed in North Florida!

On my last post I mentioned I was growing restless with the blogging. After 10 years I was torn about continuing and realized, I will just start journaling again instead of doing "event" type posts. Not to say I won't link up here and there with I Heart Cooking Club, Weekend Cooking Series and the like.  It's a good thing to be sociable and I have certainly met lots of nice folks.  Anyway, here is my first post of the year, journal style.

It snowed in Tallahassee! I think it must be more than 10 years since it snowed here.  Quite an event.  The interstate closed down because of ice and hazardous conditions.  The exit we get off for work was the last one headed eastbound that remained open so traffic was snarled.  Lost of semi trucks getting rerouted. By the time we got to work the snow had stopped so we weren't able to walk in it.

Our birdbath.  Love the Celtic design.
ice1 I like this birdbath too there is an illusion of fire or a light bolt edging upwards. Behold the chill factor here, this was the forecast 2 days ago.  ice2ice3


In this weather I am content to stay inside and read or crochet.  One of my coworkers is pregnant and I thought it would be cool to make a hat for the baby.  It came out well, if I may say so, and now I want to make a green one. In my overflowing stash of yarn I have a soft, lovely green skein of yarn. Maybe I can start on that this weekend.

yarn

Blue seems to be the theme as I upload photos. I have recently finished the first book in the Frieda Klein series by Nicci French, Blue Monday.  Seems I did things backwards as I read book 7 (Silent Sunday) in the series last month.  Doing so gave me a few spoilers but not enough to ruin it for me,  I plan to read all these books. Speaking of books, I was surprised that my little corner of the bookish internet has gained me 203 followers at Novel Meals.  That was just an off-the-cuff outlet for book ramblings and I didn't expect that at all.  Cool :-)


BlueMonday

What would my journal be like without a foodie paragraph or two?  Haha.  As we indulged ourselves  with some higher fat foods over the holidays it's back to healthier fare.  It's been very cold here (yes, in Florida) so I made a warming Korma complete with rice and naan.  Recipe may be found HERE.


Korma

Talking about warming food, here is a vat of vegetable soup I made while the Korma was bubbling.  When I cut the veggies for the Korma I sliced a bit extra and tossed them in a pot for soup.  We brought this to work today to help warm our bones.

vegSOUP1

I'm guessing I don't need a recipe for this as we all make vegetable soup with our favorite veggies, just saute them and add broth and spices.  This time I used zucchini, tomato, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, carrots, leftover green beans and rice.  Lots of salt, pepper and basil.


I will be joining Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series - her linkup with a Lucky New Year Noodle Soup may be found HERE.  Join in, there is still plenty of time to share your soup, salad or sandwich creations.  Happy first week of 2018!

FullSizeRender (5)

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to keep posting here and at Novel Meals. I truly enjoy keeping up with you via blog posts.

    It also snowed in Sarasota, Florida too! I love snow!

    That Korma looks so good and I love naan! Well, I love all kinds of Indian food. I make variations of vegetable soup and it always turns out good.

    Try to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Vicki. I always appreciate your nice comments. So you got snow too! Isn’t that amazing as you are so much farther south, what an unusual experience. It’s 28degrees this morning. I’m having morning coffee before the dog walk and heading to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've decided to keep blogging and I like the journaling idea. I love your bird bath and have never seen one quite like it! The Celtic knot design is a favorite of mine. It's freezing up here! I don't think it got above freezing all day I'm pretty sure my toes are just now getting feeling back in them from when I left the house hours ago. I'm heading down to Mississippi next week and was excited to see highs in the mid-50s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cold here too, Katherine. Felt like 22 this morning and it's so cold walking Aja. Have fun in Mississippi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're staying with us!

    I working my way through Nicci French after you reminded me about her last week.

    I also need to use up my stash of wool. And finish off a couple of embroidery projects.
    Think I will try to make a new recipe every week...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am almost done with Finding Claire Fletcher on my Kindle, Jackie. I think I will just plow through that Frida Klein Aries. I like it! Thanks for the nice Comment. For yarn stuff I plan to start a new hat this long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realized I didn't make it around to comment on your soup before but it looks yummy. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........