Thursday, April 14, 2016

Homemade Soup

One thing is for sure........if I have bits leftover from a meal I will usually find a way to make use of it in soup or a casserole. Such is the case with this chicken and rice soup. Nothing planned but it turned out well and provided us with lunch for a few days.

soup1

A few days ago I roasted a chicken with veggies for our dinner. Roasting a chicken is not a time intensive chore, well...98% of the time it isn't. We had been having a less than perfect day with Aja being ill so we went for comfort food and a quick dinner the evening of "the vet visit."

soup2

Whenever I have a whole chicken for roasting there will be other meals from the leftovers. That was part of the goal.

There isn't a set recipe but I'll tell you what I used this time. Shredded cooked chicken, leftover rice, carrots, zucchini, celery, onions, garlic, corn and peas. Once that has mixed up I sprinkle about a tablespoon of flour over the mixture and stir gently. This forms a paste type mixture but the beauty is, once I slowly add milk and/or broth, it slowly thickens into a cream based soup.

If you prefer it thinner just keep adding broth. I tossed a tablespoon of butter in there too. Just for good measure.

By the way, Aja is doing much better and we don't even mind the dent in the bank account to get her on the road to good health. We love her awful.

ajaSleeping

Linking up to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday and with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.
.

SouperSundays





14 comments:

  1. Oh that sound looks good. I need to do more roast chickens because they're always so good and comforting! I'm glad to hear Aja is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks really good. I hadn't eaten soup for many years, and then all of a sudden I craved some and it's again one of my favorite things.

    So glad Aja is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Katherine and Vicki. Soup is always a comfort food and usually easy to make. Love it. Our little girl Aja sure gets us worked up sometimes. She's family and while $700 is a steep vet bill it's worth it to see her on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like homemade soup I did one this week also.
    So glad Aja is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jackie, I appreciate that. It's hard watching be,over lets get older and get health issues.
    Soup is good anytime but I find its a good comfort food too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your soup looks delicious. Chicken soup is my very favorite. I glad to hear your dog is doing better. It's always sad when a pet is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad Aja is on the mend. And, yes, roasting a chicken is so darn easy -- and soup is a great way to use up the leftovers. This looks like the perfect comfort dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Putting leftovers into soup can be an art or just an exercise in mishmash. You seem to be more of a soup artist than a mish-masher. I had leftover curried lamb that wasn't enough for a portion or two so I cheated and just added some ready-made carrot ginger soup and more carrots to make it into a lunch. This ended up making more leftovers, but that's life, isn't it?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is just something about creamy rice soups that is especially comforting and delicious. Thanks for sharing it with me at Souper Sundays. ;-)

    So happy to hear that Aja is feeling better. I feel you on the vet expenses--I have a friend that calls Max "the million dollar cat" with his feline diabetes and other occasional issues, but I couldn't imagine not giving him everything he needs to be as healthy as he can be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken soup with extras! Always good for comfort. Glad Aja is doing better, it's sad when they're ill and you feel powerless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chicken soup looks delicious and I hope Aja is continuing on the path to good health.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like chicken soup with rice so much more than with noodles - and this one looks and sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I'm feeling lazy I'll start with a good canned soup and then add my leftovers/spices etc. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........